Friday, April 13, 2007

Lakeathon II! (Midday Friday)

Friday, noonish:
Well, setup is well under way, and check-in has begun.

I finally got to meet Marc Rodstein (left), our fearless leader, in person, after months of working with him on the LAFC website.

Marc was busy setting up the meeting hall, while his lovely wife Jill, along with Judy Staber and Barb Fioravanti are checking people in as they arrive.



John Staber is set up to sell Lake paraphrenalia in the hotel lobby; I couldn't resist a t-shirt, tote bag, and a copy of his new "History of the Lake Amphibian, 1946-2006". There is some tremendous stuff on it, and the $60 suggested donation goes to the project to restore Skimmer One, the original XC-1 Skimmer prototype that started the legacy.

I'm heading off to the airport to practice some more today, before the festivities begin tonight. Winds seem light and the sky is a beautiful clear blue. Tomorrow's looking good, too, tho' Sunday forecasts cooler temps, isolated t-storms and high winds. I'm hoping it'll give me a chance to practice the "high seas" techniques I haven't had a chance to experience yet.

1 comment:

Kathy Duda said...

Steve, thank you so much for taking the time to start and update the blog. What a wonderful idea! I'm already sitting here hanging on every word wishing I were there, and the fun has barely just begun. I'm Jim Little's cuter half (just ask Pete -- uh, on second thought, I'm not around to defend myself; don't ask Pete. I've only met him once two years ago, but I've read enough to know better than that!).

Hi, Pete!!

I've only been to Lake-A-Thon one time when Jim and I attended two years ago, but if everyone has half as much fun as we did -- and it sounds like some of you started last night --and make half as many new and wonderful friends as we did, then y'all will have a fabulous weekend. Hopefully they'll bring in a younger bartender or two. Got a feelin' they're gonna need it. I mean, YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT SEAPLANE PILOTS!!!!

I'll be living vicariously through this blog all weekend, and I'll hold the rain here in Baton Rouge as long as I possibly can.

Here's wishing you all a fun, fabulous, safe weekend, and job or no job, I'll see some of you at Sun 'n Fun in a few days!!!

Kathy Duda